6.02.2006

Rant Day

Well that was actually yesterday. Class proceeded as per usual..and then our prof asked us ''the question'' that we have been discussing for the last 4 weeks..''What is the biggest element that is missing in this program?'' Our response? We don't get any opportunities to speak french with the francophone community. We then spent an hour with our prof going over the things we loved and hated about the program. No one in our classes liked all their ateliers/workshops, in fact most of us think they are useless and boring. Thos in community service dont like it because they just stock shelves, clean, or peel vegetables. There was a split on the french usage though. Some don't like living in mixed language levels, because they always have to speak english with their roomates. Some like mixed levels because then they can help others with their french. One said that they don't speak french outside of class because their roomies are not as good in french. But really- I think it's a choice. I'll be honest. I don't speak french all the time because a) its tiring on the brain, and b) one of my roomates does not understand me half the time. But I at least keep it to a minimum. Those who are advanced and say they don't speak french enough, its because they have made that choice. I understand the beginners who don't speak french very often, What do they know how to say? Most of them at least take the time to insert as many words as they can. But I am 100% agreed that we don't speak enough french with francophones.

Part of the job of the animateurs/ leader type people, is to sit with students at lunch and dinner and just have conversations. They get paid, plus free lunch and dinner for doing this. I had the unfortunate experience of sitting with a leader last week who started talking about the beginners and complaining. ''why are they here? They should at least know something before they come here. I hate sitting with them becuase they can't even have a conversation'' After hearing that I was pissed off. I automatically took the defensive and made commentary such as ''not everyone has the opportunity to take french that is what this program is made for...'' and various other commentary , some of which I kept in my head (such as a comment that was directed towards her lack of english knowledge (our first two days here were in english so I have had the experience of trying to talk to her in english. It made me so angry, as does any commentary anyone in general makes about people who can't speak the language of where ever they happen to be. Over the years I have heard many comments directed at immigrants like ''learn to speak english if you are going to live here, they shouldnt be working there if they can't speak or understand english properly'' and etc. But what do you think they are doing by working at said establishment? Im pretty sure they are learning english. Do you want them to stay in a hole until they have perfected their 2nd language, or 3rd or 4th? Pull your head out.

Whew, I riled myself up there. Calm down..calm!

Well its friday already! Only 8 days to go! Today Im heading to the mall, then downtown to grab a bite to eat. Tomorrow morning we are off to Montreal! YES! We will be staying overnight at a friends place and chillaxing and shopping and such. It will be a good weekend. Tonight is Casino night, and I dont have any idea how to gamble so that might be interesting!

And another nob story for you...I've had my cell phone for four years. I just found out how to use a question mark...yesterday.


Things I have grown to dislike since coming to Trois-Rivières
Not seeing Dave in person for 5 weeks
False advertising on phone cards
Not bringing my raincoat..and it rains
When my umbrella breaks in the middle of a rainstorm
Tornado warnings
Creepy men
People who speak english really loud, when they are sitting next to an animateur
Cafeteria food
People telling me Im too young to get married
Rain for days on end
Dramatic and hyperactive girls
Muddy footprints in the bathtub
Stray hairs in the bathtub
Waking up early ( Ive always hated that though)
Having the same clothing choices for 6 weeks
Talking to salespeople in french and having them respond in english
Fumbling over my words
Fumbling over my words in front of the class
Almost stepping on snakes

3 comments:

Erin said...

I think the last one takes the cake... Please be more random, Sarah. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»