2.25.2008

The woman who ruined the last two hours of my shift

Me: Hi, How are you today?
Lady: Fine. Just looking. It's not like I can do anything else.
Me: Oh... (ok this lady is grumpy...) why is that?
Lady: Because you have nothing for me.
Me: What size do you wear? ( I'm thinking she is one of those ladies who doesn't know we carry large sizes)
Lady: Oh I don't know. 11 or 12.
Me: Well what are you looking for in particular? We have size 11 and some 12s
Lady: I don't know, maybe a sandal or a walking shoe?
Me: Ok, well we having something like this....(pointing to some cute sporty shoes)
L: No! I don't want a running shoe! Nothing. You have NOTHING!
Me: Well, actually we have a lot in your size, maybe something like this too (pointing at various clarks, josef, ecco etc) or anything on this display we have in your size ( pointing at SAS)
L: Those? EUCH! Nonononono. Nothing. ( looks at one pair of clarks) What? no no you have nothing. These have a heel, don't you have ANYTHING without a heel? I want a flat little closed in shoe. You have Nothing.
M: Fine. ( I walk away )

ARG! Even recounting this story makes me angry. First of all, she didn't tell me what she wanted so of course I'm going to point out everything I have! And Apparently, me pointing out ONE pair of wedge Clarks means ALL of our shoes have heels on them. I'm glad I just walked away.

This customer is what truly makes me mad about selling shoes. People are insistent that they know everything about what we sell. A lot of people come in and complain that we don't sell anything nice (this was from a lady wearing rubber boots, she actually complained we didn't have anything feminine) and that the prices are too high ( Well wait for a sale then, pay 50-80 bucks and wear your shoe for 4 years- thats 20 bucks a year) Personally I have a lot of shoes...but my oldest good quality pair is probably 7 years old and is still in good condition! We have one customer who comes in on a regular basis and tells us she gets a pair a year at payless and they are the same quality as ours. One day a couple years ago one of the guys that worked there got in a argument with her. The shoes she was wearing *a year and a half old* were totally destroyed (ie. holes and no soles or cushioning) and she thought she was getting good value...then he showed her the shoes all of the employees were wearing, along with some repairs we had in the back (with receipts) and the average life of our shoes (before repair) was 3 years. She refused to believe that, accused us of lying, and walked out. She simply came in to fight. Grab a life!!

Thats my rant. I could go on. But I won't.

5 comments:

The Dolskys said...

You are a much better woman than I will ever be. I would have slapped her. -Erika

Sarah said...

LOL- somehow I think my boss would have frowned upon that....as much as I would have liked to....I was really close to telling her to get out though!

Just Tim said...

To be fair Sarah since you have so many shoes most of them probably only get like a months worth of wearing is seven years. jj - (ok, I am a little disappointed in myself for typing "jj" but it really does seem easier than typing out "just joking" even if a little bit of my soul gets eaten away every time I do it.)

Sarah said...

not quite timmy- but good try!

Avey said...

Tim! Love the JJ lingo!

I think people are crazy. There's no other explanation. I'm currently working for a photography studio doing photoshop work in calgary, but the second a customer raises their voice or makes a stink our boss refunds their money and asks them never to come back. It's SO funny.