2.26.2007

I'm not old!

I was called old the other day. By my 18 year old co-worker. Apparently "nobody" emails anymore. Apparently your cell phone is not for planning your nights out through talking either. Text Messaging is the "shit" so I'm told. She doesn't remember the "last time I actually wrote or checked an email". She says " Oh Sarah, you are so old! I thought you were with it, Really? Email? Come on!"

How can I be old? I'm only 23 !!

My mistake came in the next conversation. She says " My brother has a girlfriend, and she's so Emo"

I said " What?! What's Emo?"

She says " Oh Sarah, you don't text message AND you don't know what Emo is?"
First of all. I do text message. That's how I know whenever the girls want me to work for them. Second of all.... No. I have no idea what Emo is.

She laughs. Then spends the entire rest of the shift pointing out which girls in the mall are Emo and which ones are not, and how you can tell the difference.

I have now been educated. But she still tells me that I'm old.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://emooranges.ytmnd.com/

It is exactly what it says. Emo Oranges

Avey said...

I don't know what Emo is either sarah. Maybe you should explain what you learned so that the rest of us don't have to feel old in front of 18 year olds.

Erin said...

It's ok, my 18 year-old sister had to explain it to me too at Christmas. And tell this 18 year-old that e-mailing is free, and some people have better things to spend their money on than texting.

Just Tim said...

Sarah Even I knew what Emo was!! Ok it did take a youth to tell me but still! Welcome to the world of finding out you are no where near as hip as you thought you once were. I was only hip for like six months between starting my first youth work job and them getting to know me, so becoming “so old” was not too much of a shock to me, though it still stings a little form time to time, especially when the girl you are going to marry says it.
Amisha – Where do you find things like this!!???

Anonymous said...

ok, I've NEVER heard that word before either...you will definatly have to fill all of us OLD people in. And really, what the heck is wrong with emailing? That's so wierd. I could see if people were still writing letters back and forth through the mail as their only means of communication like in the Janette Oke books and someone called them 'old' but emailing?? that's like the internet and it's so hip!

A J Craig said...

Here is a definition of Emo: Spoiled kids who dress in baggy clothed whining about how crummy their life is because they were given everything and have yet found a way to be bitter about it. Emo is short for emotional. What I think is even funnier is that Emo music will be the next generation's "Hair Metal"

nat said...

I did the exact same thing with a teen at work “what’s an EMO?!” She said she was an EMO. I studied her. She had black short hair…kind of punkish. She had some crazy black design all over her face and black grubby clothes. I thought that was goth?! Meh…what do I know? I’ll just google it or something. Oh and as for “no one emails anymore”…I don’t know how true that is…the majority of my emails are from teens between the ages of 15-18. So you’re not old and I think you’re still with it. And so am I…well except that I still don’t understand the meaning of EMO...oh well.

DaveJenn said...

Don't feel so old Sarah! The only reason I heard of them is because my youth worker buddies always make haikus about them in class. One went something like this, 'I wish my lawn was emo, then it would cut itself.' Of course that isn't a proper haiku! But it is disturbingly funny.

What I don't understand about Emo clothing is how they fit into those tight little pants with tapered ankles the size of my thumb??

I look forward to hair metal!!!

Sarah said...

I've tried those on just for kicks.. and the hard part isnt getting your foot through the hole...its getting it back out again!