11.18.2006

Quiz: How hard is it to order a pizza?

So tonight, after taking a visit to the greatest shoe store in calgary ( premium clarks flagship plus amazing amounts of ecco, josef, geox, rockport, and many other lovely lovely beautiful shoes and by the way who knew that ecco made a fuzzy winter boot?) we decided to order some pizza for ourselves and david and jenn. So this is a "transcript" of the conversation. Note obviously I didnt put our actual number here
Pizza place: Hello Papa Johns
Dave:Hi Id like to order a pizza for pickup
Pizza place: Ok no problem, what is your phone number?
Dave: (780) 111-1212
P: 78011?
D: Area code 780 111-1212
P: ok so 780 1121?
D: NO! the area code is 780 the number is 1-1-1-1-2-1-2
P: so..the number is 780 112-1231?
D: NO! This is an edmonton cell phone so...nevermind, do you really need my phone number? im going to pick it up anyways.
P: Uh..No. I need your number
D: Ok AREA CODE 780 1--1---1---1---2---1---2 and I would like...
P: Ok uh sorry, what is your name?
D: Dave
P: Ok.Um. so for delivery?
D: no pickup
P ok right. so What do you want?
D: one medium ham and pineapple and....
P: one medium pineapple?
D: HAM and pineapple.. or hawaiian or whatever you call it and one medium pepperoni mushroom
P; and one pepperoni mushroom Ok Got it.
D:.....so what did I order?
P: One medium hawaiian and one medium pepperoni mushroom
D: ok actually change the medium pepperoni mushroom to a large
P: ok. Do you want to upgrade the hawaiian to a large for only 2 dollars?
D:No.
P: do you want wings or breadsticks for only 4 dollars?
D: no
P: so thats all for you?
D: yes
P; ok that will be 24$
D:fine, how long will that be?
P: uh about an hour
D: What?! why?
P: uh we are kinda busy
D: well is there another location on crowchild?
P: uh...no...Southwest somewhere I think
D: are you sure? I thought I read in the phone book that there was one northwest?
P: (empty sound) ( now switched to another employee)........( through this time there was a long and lengthy discussion trying to get phone numbers and addresses of the other location. sucessful with a phone number finally) Uh so sorry about that, it s a new girl just learning the phones today. bye.

D; ( phoning other location) Can I order a pizza?
New Pizza location: sure, phone number?
D: 780 111-1212
NPL: ok, your name?
d: dave
NPL: pickup or delivery?
D: pickup
NPL: what would you like?
D: a medium...etc.
NPL: ok. that will be 24$
D: and how long?
NPL: maybe 20 minutes.
D: ok thanks, and are you southwest? or northwest?
NPL: northwest
d: ok thanks
NPL: no problem, bye


We get to new pizza location, are served by a twelve year old, who answered the phone 3 times, all the while on the ball, helping us, getting our pizza, verifying signatures, and sent us on the way with extra napkins and all. Now thats service. Now the question is...was that first girl really learning how to use the phone? or just learning her numbers in the first place! And also a great big thank you to them for almost sending us to the other side of the city....Now ordinarily we would not have gone through all this, but we really like papa johns pizza and we cant get it in edmonton anymore! Oh the joys.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol! Good story sarah, sorry to hear about all your hastle, we don't have a papa johns pizza here in little ol GP, sounds like we should! So, you are living in Calgary now? maybe i"m confused!

Sarah said...

confused..yes! No we are in edmonton, just were visiting Dave and Jenn in Calgary for the weekend! And papa johns is worth the hassel!

Avey said...

Oh Sarah! Funny story. I read this entry about 3 days ago- then last nightI was at work and didn't have much time for a break so I called Panago to order a salad so that I didn't have to wait when I picked it up.

"Panago in Shawnessy, how can I help you?"
"Um, I'd like to order a garden salad please"
"Uhhhh...... (silence).... I think you have the wrong number."
"What? Where is this?"
"uhhh.. Panago in Shawnessy."
"I want to order a salad"
"Ohh... ok, hang on, so you want a salad. Can I get "2 5 4 - 9 8 2 4"
"256..."
"No 254!"

The whole time I was on the phone with him all I could think about was your pizza story. Weird. But, we're having a major labor shortage in Calgary. I guess bad service is all we've got to look forward to.

Sarah said...

good to know it wasn't just Calgary revolting against us!

DaveJenn said...

we still loved the pizza! thanks for the effort. and hey, it made for a great story!