5.21.2011

Piano Happiness!

I love playing the piano. I played growing up, I wanted to quit in Junior High but my mom wouldn't let me (however, she did let my brother quit for some reason!) I'm so happy that she didn't let me quit. However, she did find me a new piano teacher. My former teacher was fine I guess, but she made me play classical music which I didn't really like. I like the sound, but it wasn't anything I would choose to play of my own volition. So, I switched piano teachers. My new teacher was amazing. She was young, and enthusiastic, and really listened to what I wanted to do. I wanted to just play for fun. I would play a few classical songs here and there but I didn't have to do Royal Conservatory. She introduced me to Suzuki, which was different, and then let me just pick whatever else I wanted. By this time I was playing a lot in the worship team at Church, and then that evolved into playing every single week. I loved it, I practiced, I played and it was fantastic. I quit piano lessons after my first year of college when I moved away from home. Unfortunately I completely forgot about my last piano lesson so I never really got a chance to say goodbye my teacher (Sorry Alison!)

Once I moved away from home, I obviously didn't have a piano to play. It wasn't a big deal, I moved back home over a couple summers, but then once I didn't come home anymore I didn't have a piano to play. When my brother got married, he asked me and Dave to play at his wedding, so I was able to borrow a keyboard to put at the kitchen table to practice. When I was in University I lived at a house that had a (terrible) piano but I was able to sit down at it and play when I wanted to. I always said though that one day I would get one for myself. The intent was actually to move my piano from home to my future home, but that was not to be do to it's age and such. (I am now the proud owner of a cardboard box full of piano keys...)

When Dave and I got married we lived in a one bedroom apartment, and it was full to the brim. We definitely didn't have the room or the money for a piano. Once we moved to our current home though, we chose to name our front room the "music room" with the intent that one day we would get a piano. Apparently, that day was yesterday! Dave had heard about a sale on the radio, so we popped in to check it out. The sale was AMAZING. We took a week to think about it, since we were not planning on buying the piano immediately... and decided to go for it. So now, I am a happy happy camper! I love the piano. I love that I can sit down at it for even 5 minutes and play a little. It helps me de-stress and relax and just be happy and content. Live is good!

1 comment:

Carla said...

Yay! That's a happy story. :)