4.11.2007
Last Class Finally
I'm so glad that my night class is over. I was even actually looking forward to my last class because we were supposed to get the marks back from a group presentation and she said it would be a final wrap up that would mean a short class. Turns out we didn't get our marks back and she had us read aloud an 8 page article and then discuss it. Then during discussion she decided that I was too quiet and not saying anything so she turned to face me and said " I can't believe that you don't have any comments. That is impossible. I'm just going to sit here and stare at you until you say something." I was astounded. My mind was racing to figure out something to say, as well as my eyes filling with tears because I don't do well under that kind of pressure. Thank goodness the girl sitting next to me decided to say something and saved my butt. The discussion then continued and I sat there seething. Then she announced that we were going to take a break and when the class resumed we would continue talking about it. Nuts to that I left, after filling out a class evaluation, and walking up to her and telling her that I was leaving, was there anything I needed to do to get my mark back? She told me to email her and you could tell she was scrutenizing my face. I hope she got the picture thatI was upset and she was being a wench. Now I don't know what to do. Do I go an talk to her and make her realize that humiliating students ( different but related story) is not exactly professional behaviour? Not to accuse her or anything- just to let her know the reason I left. Or do I leave well enough alone and not explain myself and hope that she won't dock me any marks because she doesn't seem to like me? Not to mention the fact there are at least 6 other people in the class who don't speak up often and who don't get picked on. Geez.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow. Sounds awful. That must be one of my BIGGEST fear. It's never really happened to me before. I wouldn't go and talk to her but would talk to her boss and try to get her fired.
I'm speechless...that is one awful prof. There are several reasons why people don't share in class and it is her responsibility to know and understand why. Maybe the topic isn't interesting. Or she's asking the wrong questions...and besides...if you don't want to share you shouldn't have to.
I don't know what you should do but I kind of agree with your friend Avey there. Find someone you can talk to about it. Like the head of the department...or another prof you can get advice from. Confronting her about it can be a little risky...especially before your mark is final.
Good luck...and just so you know I gave your prof the evil eye and I shook my angry fist at her just for you...even if she can't see me.
An engineering they always stress talking to the prof first and then if that doesn't fix things then talk to somebody higher up. Our marks are based on right and wrong answers though. Andy who has been in both arts and engineering says go to her boss.
Post a Comment